07 July 2011

DAY 2 of Teacher Rock

If going to school is this much fun I may just stay!


Actually I have learned so much and can't wait to go back to my classroom and sort through all of my books ....I have thousands of books ....seriously....and each year I add and subtract more and more. I have 15 Xerox paper boxes of my themed books...and I have purged my books from middle school and upper grades...and I am not looking forward to moving the books- let alone the rest of my "stuff" when I return.

I am also becoming quite the city person I never thought I could be.

The weather? I love it.....bring on the humidity Mother Nature! You're a blessing to my sinuses! And I love the heat.

The traffic? Well, when in Rome ya know...cross when no cars are coming not when the walk sign appears...maneuver around the subway grates and step over the trash bags awaiting pick up. Although I would never drive on Manhattan or RIDE MY BIKE....goodbye Bike Commuter of the Year if I lived here.

The noise? I can't believe I sat in the meridian of Broadway for lunch! It was the only bench available- what I thought was a bus stop is actually a middle of the road "park." A trellis covered with vines and many other teachers sqwisssshed onto benches eating before the next class...and ambulances with sirens whizzzzzing by and cars honking and troops of day campers crossing the street to Riverside Park for lunch. Enjoyable.

Unfriendly people? I haven't encountered any. I have asked for help in the subway, asked for directions and exchanged "good mornings." (There was only one frightening, adrenaline fright or flight experience that I will save for later.)

After walking the 26 blocks back to the hotel I crossed the street to CVS so I could get chocolate milks for the fridge (breakfast staple,) as I crossed, a man was stopped in the crosswalk looking down 95th Street....as I passed he said, "Look at the sun!" It was just dipping into the sky with bright orange and blue clouds surrounding it. My cell phone photo does no justice to this beautiful sight...




I just might not come back.....well, until the weather hits below 40 degrees!



*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*LEARN TO TEACH READING IN THE BIG APPLE*

4 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Glad you're having such a great time. Have you ever been here to Chicago? If you haven't, I'm fairly certain you would love it even more. I don't think I've ever met anyone who's been to both, and hasn't said they like Chicago better. Just sayin'...

Busy Bee Suz said...

So glad you are having fun!!! So funny...the noise is my least favorite part of NYC.

The Traveling Yogi said...

I love visiting New York. Not sure I could live there, but love to visit.

Unknown said...

How does it compare to San Francisco....which is my favorite big city to visit?
Glad you are having fun.