The newest babies have hatched in kindergarten...see those ity-bity black things on the white cocoon? They are Silk "worms," which we know are not worms at all. I should have put a penny in the photo for scale but I noticed that they hatched right as I was leaving on Friday...so I had to run out and pull leaves and fruit from the Mulberry tree and my new Mulberry bush, both of which just began putting out leaves. The "worms" are the size of a pin head....(or a small sized booger!) They will eat and eat and eat for about a month and then spin a cocoon of silk. It really is a fascinating process. We are midway through our insect unit...our Ladybugs have hatched and set free, our butterflies are in their pupas for a week now- and will probably hatch while we are on spring break....I ordered the larva to arrive when we returned from mid-winter break but due to cold weather the order was delayed a week.....can't mess with Mother Nature! My students are so interested in insects and "EWWWW" is not allowed....on the blog either....so enjoy the silken updates...
*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*
ENJOY THE CIRCLE OF LIFE*



3 comments:
You said "ewwww" is not allowed, but you didn't say anything about "YUCK!" ;-)
You are such a friend of all creatures big and small.
I woulda sprayed them with something toxic.
Ewwwww.
Post a Comment