As I was leaving the classroom I decided to check the incubators one more time.
I heard chirping this morning....but no pips.
So as I was leaving I noticed the duck incubator was not humid enough....so I added water and I thought I heard a chirp. Now that's odd because the duck eggs SHOULD NOT BE HATCHING UNTIL NEXT WEDNESDAY!
But low and behold, there was a pip and a "chirpchirpchirp" coming from one egg!
For 3 weeks I have unknowingly incubated a chicken egg with the ducks! The difference?
I heard chirping this morning....but no pips.
So as I was leaving I noticed the duck incubator was not humid enough....so I added water and I thought I heard a chirp. Now that's odd because the duck eggs SHOULD NOT BE HATCHING UNTIL NEXT WEDNESDAY!
But low and behold, there was a pip and a "chirpchirpchirp" coming from one egg!
For 3 weeks I have unknowingly incubated a chicken egg with the ducks! The difference?
*Humidity.
*I spray the duck eggs daily.
*I have candled the duck eggs during Open House and the eggs should not be candled in the final week of incubation.
*The turner is on in the duck incubator and should be turned off 1-3 days before hatching so the chicks can get in position to break out....and also so it doesn't trip them up when they are resting from hatching.
So this little guy- or girl- defied all odds so far...and will hopefully be hatched in the morning! Thank goodness for its loud chirp!
...see the little piece of shell?
*LIVESTRONG*LOVESTRONGER*LAUGH HARDER*BE A MOM*



2 comments:
Oh my goodness! I can't wait for tomorrow either! How many generations of chicks and ducks have you mothered??
Here is the link to The Four Preps website with a good version of 26 miles. Or listen to it on my site. I still love that song.
http://www.thefourpreps.com/
Oh that's exciting. We do an animal life cycle unit every year and I've always threatened to have something like this in my room, but haven't taken the time to do so.
Post a Comment